After you publish an article, how many ways can you squeeze more value from it?
Repurposing content means taking the article — or information published in any other way — and giving it new life. For example, you could publish it in a new format, break it into smaller pieces, combine it into a new larger piece or even tailor the content to a new target audience. You could also curate content, bringing together related pieces for your audience on a landing page or through email.
What’s exciting about repurposing content in 2021 is that the ideas can extend beyond the written word.
Benefits of Repurposing Content
The editors, freelancers, research and reporting it takes to produce top-notch content is likely your No. 1 cost. You owe it to your organization to maximize the ROI from that investment.
The benefits of repurposing content include:
- Getting the most out of your writers’ and editors’ time
- Extending the reach of your content beyond a one-time publish date
- Filling gaps in content calendars
- Bringing stories to viewers in innovative formats
- Increasing engagement with readers
Ways to Repurpose Content
How many ways you can use and reuse an article to get more bang for your buck? You may be familiar with many of these ideas, but how many have you actually incorporated into your content planning workflow?
- Publish original article to your website
- Publish original article to your print publication
- Incorporate article or a portion of it into your newsletter or email blast
- Use snippets from the article in social media posts
- Have an editor or writer read an article for audio consumption
- Develop a webinar or video using the content, reformatted for visual engagement
- Convert a webinar or video into an audio format, such as podcast or sound snippets to support articles
- Create a downloadable PDF version of a high-value article and require registration
- Include article or pieces of article with others in a report and require registration or purchase
- Combine articles that relate to a particular, timely or important topic and promote them as a series or featured section on website
- Pull data and relevant points from an article into an infographic
- Include the article in a market report or an annual round-up
- For timely or popular topics, circle back after a year and provide an update with any new, relevant information
- After conducting an interview, if there’s more material than is relevant for a current assignment, save the extra for further articles or social media posts
- Create a submission to an outside publication based on an existing article or articles, depending on your market. For example, an association may want to contribute to a trade publication, or an enthusiast media publication may want to send a piece to a local or national newspaper.
- While conducting an interview with an industry expert, record the interview so you can share audio or video clips on social media and/or embed them into the article
- Create a photo or illustrative series of a topic based on an article for a photo gallery in the original story and to share on social media
- Keep news stories relevant by continually updating the information to surface the article again and get fresh reads
- Take old interviews with experts and thought leaders and share them as Q&As
- Publish transcripts of webinars, podcasts or interviews
- Create an article round-up as a newsletter such as sub-niche, topic-based articles or the most popular reads of the week
- Find a new way to promote old but popular topics by hosting a webinar or event with experts, which creates fresh material to share on social or your website
- Write article summaries of live-event presentations
- Create audio or video clips of live-event presentations to run with and enrich articles; keep them under 60 seconds
- Curate a newsletter of related evergreen content, all different takes on the same topic
- Do you publish directories or lists on your site? Create PDFs of the same lists and gate them for registrations
- Package related evergreen content into a print book or report, available for order in your store
- Repurpose an article or a series of articles into webinars or training
- Upload presentations to Slideshare
- Create a monthly “best of” or “most important news this week” article or email, curating great video, audio and articles
Best Practices for Repurposing Content
Now that you’re armed with ideas on how to get the most from every resource (and your team’s time), here are some tips to ensure that you’re repurposing content as effectively as possible:
- Repurposing is proactive. Be intentional with your efforts. Plan ahead.
- Remember that repurposing content is not just delegated to the written word. You can repurpose visuals, audio and video, or you can take the written word and give it to readers in a new format.
- Don’t be afraid to break content into pieces. You can reuse snippets rather than the whole, and make it go even further.
- Find a solution that supports your content and repurposing vision. ePublishing’s dynamic tools make it easy to get ambitious about how many ways you can reuse content. With each repurpose, you increase the value of an article and your return from the time spent developing it. Also find a CMS that allows you to easily sell your content.
- Have a central repository that can act like a DAM for all of your digital assets, from which you can easily access the content to be repurposed in a highly searchable and sortable way.
Our platform allows you to publish an article once and distribute it anywhere. Ask us about our client who has earned more than $100,000 in additional income from some individual articles by using some of the techniques above. Get a demo today or reach out with questions.