SEO will continue to change and what better time to evaluate your strategy than the New Year? Consider these tactics for a successful year in SEO:
1. Don’t try to fool Google. This is no different than 2014—the key to successful SEO is to first comply with Google’s guidelines, then overachieve. Make sure you:
2. Keep your URLs short. Your URL is your top line of ranking. Keep it descriptive and focus on categorization by aligning your page topic and keyword.
3. Cultivate inbound links. This is one thing that certainly hasn’t changed. The greater number of quality inbound links to your site, the greater your chances of showing up higher in results. Do you have a solid inbound link strategy? If not, consider these four tactics to start:
4. Be fast. This isn’t old news either: readers have a need for speed. If you don’t keep up, you will get left in the dust. The faster your site operates, the better your chances of keeping readers with you.
5. Continue to prioritize security. You know about PCI compliance, but do you know about HTTPS? Historically, websites ran on Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP), but now Google emphasizes the use of Hyper Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS). Why? It’s the best way to encrypt your website for resistance to hackers.
7. Don’t neglect other search engines. We all do it: we get hyper-focused on Google and forget that there are other players out there. But, while Google cannot be ignored, other search engines shouldn’t be ignored. They are becoming more competitive and neglecting to optimize for those search engines could cost a lot. Think about how Firefox dropped Google for Yahoo last year. That’s just the tip of the iceberg.
It’s inevitable that 2015 will bring more change in SEO, but it’s good to know that key tactics from last year still hold water.