There is more than one reason to switch to a Cloud or SaaS content management system (CMS). We’ve talked previously about the financial benefits (and total-cost-of-ownership or TCO), but what else should drive your decision?
A recent KPMG International survey showed that efforts to improve processes; technical benefits, (that in some cases they could not gain from their own data centers); and strategic benefits, like transforming their business models to gain a competitive advantage, were considered by respondents to be equally, if not more important, than economic benefits.
Switching to the cloud is an investment and it’s important to consider longevity, performance and security along with cost savings. Find a SaaS CMS that fits your business, not just your budget. Look at the big picture.
- Can your infrastructure grow with expanding data storage and computing demands? What is the cost of archiving, storage, recovery and continuity of your data?
- Where should you focus your IT investment? Your system should emphasize areas that differentiate your business and cannot be commoditized. This should be weighed along with TCO.
- Is your website and supporting CMS platform fast and competitive? Can they drive the cost savings, revenue and growth that you need, without compromising quality? Determine what knowledge and capabilities need to be in-house, or if a SaaS solution will deliver better and more timely results.
- How will broader networks give you better access to new markets? Look at size of your markets and effectiveness of your sales channels—both internal and external sales and re-sales. Compare them with the potential of third-party marketplaces and self-serve portals and platforms.
Once you find a SaaS CMS that fits your specific needs, make sure they offer (to name a few):
- PCI compliance and relible and fast site infrastructure
- Regular and intuitive software updates
- Smooth integration with partners and other software
- 24/7 customer service
Take the time to understand where you can go with your current system and where you want to go. Finding a cloud CMS that is tailored to your business might just have some hidden benefits—and wouldn’t that be a refreshing change?